Friday 27 May 2016

arcgis desktop - create diversity map of qualitative features, ArcMap


I am trying to create a map of forest type diversity with ArcMap. I have a polygon forest layer with the different forest types as attributes (e.g. 0815, 0862, 0813, ..., which stands for 'mixed forest', 'oak forest', and so on.)


Using Patch Analyst I have created a Hexagon map and intersected it with the forest polygon layer. Usually I would now use 'field statistics' to calculate the variance of forest types for each Hexagon field and then join the result table to the Hexagon polygon layer to create a diversity map. Calculations don't work, however, since I have qualitative Features instead of quantitative ones.



Does somebody have an idea how to do this?



Answer



I solved the Problem:



  1. dissolve forest data according to forest type

  2. create Hexagons

  3. join forest data to Hexagon ('spatial join')


--> this gives me what I want, in the new table there is a Count_ field that Displays not the number of Polygons, but the number of different forest types in the hexagon


No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...