Monday 23 May 2016

arcgis desktop - Calculate The Minimum Distance from Polygon Centroid to Edge


I am looking to calculate the minimum distance from the Center of a polygon (A crescent shaped polygon would have a center inside the polygon) to its edge. I have parcel data and I am trying to calculate in my model I created how tall I can build a cell tower on that parcel. The maximum height that I can build the tower is equal to the minimum distance from the center of the parcel to its edge. Is their a simple way to calculate this? Once I have the minimum distance calculated I can complete my query for my model.



Answer



The following approach requires you to have an Advance license:



  • Convert your polygons to lines using the Feature To Line tool

  • Identify the distance from your centroid point to the line using the Generate Near Table tool



These two steps can be wrapped up in a model.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...