Sunday 29 May 2016

data - Source for high-resolution satellite images free/low-cost?


I am doing a household survey in Kenya, and I need to ensure that my survey team visits every house within a given area. I've been going to google maps and right-clicking on roofs to get coordinates via the "what's here" option. This is really an inefficient use of time.


I'd prefer to have a high-resolution image that I could upload to google earth engine, and then perform a machine-learning algorithm to identify roofs. I'd want to get a text file of the lat/longs of all the houses, which I could then cluster by distance and give to my surveyors, both in map and in checklist format.


But the images in google maps satellite view are copyrighted and not available in earth engine. So I need images at high-enough resolution to identify corrugated iron and straw thatch roofs, with roughly ~3km^2 spatial extent.


What are some good sources for such data? Ideally that will give it freely or cheaply to graduate students and/or nonprofits?





No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...