Sunday 29 May 2016

python - How to populate Unique ID field after sorting?


I am trying to create an new unique id field in a feature class. I already have one field called "SITE_ID_FD", but it is historical. The format of the unique value in that field isn't what our current format is, so I am creating a new field with the new format.


Old Format = M001, M002, K003, K004, S005, M006, etc


New format = 12001, 12002, 12003, 12004, 12005, 12006, etc


I wrote the following script:


fc = r"Z:\test.gdb\testfc"

x = 12001

cursor = arcpy.UpdateCursor(fc)



for row in cursor:
row.setValue("SITE_ID", x)
cursor.updateRow(row)
x+= 1

This works fine, but it populates the new id field based on the default sorting of objectID. I need to sort 2 fields first and then populate the new id field based on that sorting (I want to sort by a field called 'SITE' and then by the old id field "SITE_ID_FD")


I tried running the script from the python window in ArcMap after manually sorting the 2 fields in hopes that the python would honor the sort, but it doesn't. I'm not sure how to do this in python. Can anyone suggest a method?




No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...