Sunday 29 May 2016

arcgis desktop - Determining the area of each polygon within a polygon boundary?


enter image description here


I have a series of maps representing a 1000m diameter around a point. These maps contain 40 different types of polygons that represent a land use (ex. Corn crop, Pasture).


I want to select all polygons that are within the 1000m boundary and find out each of their areas.


I've attempted to create unions and delete the exterior polygons, but I'm only limited to performing a union on 2 features which would make that task very tedious. Is there a faster and simpler way of performing this task?


My goal is to create an attbiute table, that will have a unique identifer for each polygon and then a column with the SHAPE_AREA that I can export to excel.


I created the maps using ArcGIS, I have access to all licenses and other GIS programs. All polygons are shapefiles, including the boundary circles.



Answer




I've determined the best possible route for my question.


I create a new field in the attribute table for each shapefile called "LandUse". I designated a number for each LandUse (I.e. Corn = 3)


I used the 'Merge' tool on all the LandUse shapefiles. Now I can use the Clip tool to determine Land Uses within different sized boundaries including 1000m (Boundaries as the 'clip features').


I use the field calculator in the Attribute table of the newly clipped shapefile to determine area and the summarize option to create a table of areas for each boundary)


Thanks everyone for your answers, they were all helpful!


No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...