Thursday 23 January 2020

installation - Multiple versions of GDAL (32bit and 64bit) on same machine


I currently have GDAL installed on my Windows 7 64bit workstation. It is the 32bit version. I chose the 32 bit version because I wanted to use the GDAL Python bindings with a 32bit installation of Python (version 2.6 installed with ArcGIS).


Would it be possible to also install the 64bit version of GDAL on the same computer so that I can take advantage of more memory and processors when running the GDAL command line utilities?




Answer



It shouldn't be a problem to have several Python/GDAL installations on a single Windows computer.


For example, let me count how many GDAL installations are on my 64-bit work PC:



  1. ArcGIS 10.0 with bundled Python 2.6 (32-bit). I only use this Python installation for Esri things

  2. Python 2.7 (64-bit) with GDAL, etc. Good for using lots of RAM (and I really do use it)

  3. Python 3.2 (64-bit) with GDAL, etc. Mostly for future-proof testing of stuff I make

  4. OSGeo4w has GDAL, although I needed to modify the Osgeo4W.bat file to make it work

  5. Some groundwater software that I use includes GDAL

  6. Some geological modelling tool I've been demoing includes GDAL



Occasionally, there could be a clash between different installations, but there is usually a way to fix it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...