Wednesday 18 July 2018

qgis - Finding Highest Percentage Overlap between two polygons?



I'm currently working with electoral and census information. Quick summary of the two geographical units I'm working with:




  1. Voting Precinct --> These polygons provide me with electoral results from a specific area.

  2. US Census Tract --> These polygons provide me with information from the US Census Bureau.


And you guessed it! These two type of polygons do not match.


There is also no rule to determine if one type is bigger than the other, as there might be some Voting Precinct polygons larger than some census tracts polygons but also shorter.


Using R, Python or QGIS, is there a way I can get a table that tells me for each Precinct which is the US tract that overlaps the most?


I'm expecting to know the following information Precinct 1 --> Matches the most with Tract 43 Precinct 2 --> Matches the most with Tract 45 Precinct 3 --> Matches the most with Tract 43 (yes, the same tract can match the most with two or more precincts.


I know it's a very broad question and any comment, solution, library, code will definitely help me!




No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...