Saturday 28 July 2018

open source gis - What free programs should every GIS user have installed?



Note: This question is specifically about installed, desktop software. There is another question specifically about free cloud-based software and services.


What free programs should every GIS user have installed?


I'm not necessarily referring to ESRI extensions or open-source products, but others that increase your productivity and ability to handle GIS tasks.


For example:



  • Notepad++ for writing code snippets or editing XMLs. Paint.NET or GIMP for quick graphic editing.

  • I use Google Tasks daily and I think it's worth mentioning. It's not GIS-specific, but it's a great tool, especially if used independently and on multiple projects where purchasing time-management software isn't reasonable.

  • While it's not focused on GIS development, Rainmeter has proven to be very useful in terms of increasing productivity and monitoring system resources. I have created a GIS "sidebar" on my desktop that holds all of my development tools, as well as links to the online resources I used the most. It's nice to be able to use one location, rather than many (e.g. taskbar, bookmarks in browser, search engine).




Answer







No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...