Monday 16 July 2018

qgis - Adding text fields with more than 255 characters?


I'm working on a QGIS project where I have few shapefile layers with text fields. I would like to add whole paragraphs as descriptions to the text fields, however the fields are limited by their maximum allowed length which is 255 characters.


How should I accomplish adding longer texts? I'm sure there must be a way which I'm not considering.


I read somewhere that I should try PostGIS. The final goal of the project is to be uploaded to a web server for online viewing. Therefore, I'm not sure how can the PostGIS relation to the much bigger text files be uploaded or saved on the web as well?



Answer



Shapefiles have a limitation of maximum 254 characters per field (See switchfromshapefile.org).


If you need more than that you will need to switch to a different format. If you don't know which file format you want to choose, go for Geopackage, which is an OGC standard (and in newer versions of QGIS and other GIS packages the default file format).


PostGIS is a database which runs as a service on a server and is great if you want to run an infrastructure where different users can work at the same time, as in organizations or web platforms. If it's just you editing the data and you publish it once and don't have experience with infrastructure management, you should consider to go for file based approaches first. You can still migrate to a database server if you run into limitations.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...