Monday 20 February 2017

ubuntu - Migrating to Linux from Windows



I am looking at switching over a computer from Windows to Ubuntu. I have been a Windows user all my life and been using GIS for over a decade. I am curious about the migration to Ubuntu. Mostly, what packages, bindings etc I will need/want to get. With Windows I have downloaded Python and the bindings, GDAL, FWTools etc etc. Will it be the same with Ubuntu? Or are packages bundled differently in Ubuntu?



Answer



The same applications are available, but the general experience will be much smoother, especially updates. Package managment is one of the key user-facing strengths of Linux. Everything you need is already packaged and only a gui or command away. No need for separate downloads or anything like that.


So install one of the buntu flavours and add the UbuntuGIS ppa to the list of sources in the software center.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...