Tuesday 28 February 2017

arcgis desktop - How would I flatten a projected vector dataset to georeference a historic map to it?


So I have vector data for quad lines, township/range lines and section lines for this area. The data is already projected into NAD83 UTM zone 10N and the lines are no longer straight. They warp pretty severely when going over hilly areas for instance.


What I've been asked to georeference are some 1860'S General land office plats of the area that have township and section lines on them.


If I bring the GLO plats into my MXD it becomes very hard to georeference the very square ancient maps to the modern squiggly lines (caused by modern projection) of the vector data.


I figured I could flatten the vector data out in another environment and georeference the plats to the flattened vector lines then project the newly georeferenced plats into the desired UTM zone 10N projection.


What projection, geographic coordinate system (or tool?) would be optimal for accomplishing this?


Edit: ArcMap 10.1. Student version.


Edit2: By not straight I mean on lets say a printed topo map the section, township and range lines are straight up and down. Those same lines when projected are not straight up and down, they go around elevation changes and are no longer square. I want to georeference the lines from the GLO plats to the lines on the vector data and was hoping I could flatten it out to do this easier. The content of the GLO plats other than the lines is suspect because when they were made the features were only recorded where they crossed section or township/range lines, the rest was essentially guessed at by whoever created the plats.




No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...