Sunday 19 February 2017

How to run two versions of QGIS simultaneously on Ubuntu 12.04


I really enjoy seeing the new features and icons of QGIS 1.9 nightly versions. It's looking fantastic, and some features are already very useful for my work.


However, it is inherently less stable than QGIS 1.8 as it's a development version.


To deal with this, I generally keep QGIS 1.9 installed and updated on my system, and use it until something I need does not work (this happens every fortnight or so - most commonly with plugins such as ftools and openlayers). At this point, I uninstall v1.9, remove the ubuntugis repository, and proceed to install v1.8.


This solution works fine, but I was just wondering if there's a better way? How would I go about running 2 versions of QGIS simultaneously (with updates), one for stability, the other for features, fun and bug-checking? And is it worth doing?


One solution I tried a while back was to clone the github version into a new folder on my machine and run that binary when I wanted the latest version...



Answer



Which system are you using? On Windows you could just use the OSGEO4W installer:



  • Select advanced Install


  • And download and install qgis as well as qgis-dev from the list


to have both version running on your pc.


On Linux have a look at this post of mine here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...