Sunday 26 February 2017

coordinate system - Mysterious Lat Long conversion to XY problem using QGIS


I am trying to import a CSV file with Lat Long values I geocoded in Google Earth into QGIS, and I'm getting some very strange results.


A well-formatted decimal-degree Lat/Long pair (like 30.402716, -88.867475) gets translated into a tiny tiny XY pair like (-0.0008,0.0003). The points show up basically in the right position relative to each other, but these decimal values are way off relative to my other layers, why is this decimal conversion happening and why is it so wrong?



I'm using the "Create Layer from Delimited Text" dialogue, and I set X to Long, and Y to Lat, and selected the CRS to Google Maps Global Mercator EPSG:900913


Lat Long problem



Answer



If they're truly lat/lon coordinates, set the CRS to EPSG:4326 and see if that helps. If you want EPSG:900913, you'll need to ("re")project them.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...