Wednesday 3 May 2017

arcobjects - Learning .NET for ArcGIS (mainly Desktop) use?



I have basic programming skills (I program simple vba python and lisp scripts and had gone through a java course a long time ago), but it seems to me (judging by ESRI publications) that there is no escaping the need to learn .NET for future relevance in the GIS job market (even as an analyst).


I've gone through a basic c# course and can program (regrettably) quite poor programs, but I have no idea how to link the c# knowledge to actually programming for arcgis in order to progress.


1) I know the differences aren't big, but does ArcGIS use .NET or C#?


2) I know the best way to further my experience in .NET is to program more and more but are there any good .NET programming books or courses I can learn techniques from?


3) In your opinion, what is the best way to learn to program in .NET for ArcGIS? Are there any useful books or websites?


I appreciate your comments regarding ArcGIS 10 (and will be saving them for later) but if you could give give me some heads on for ArcGIS 9.3.1 that would be grand (I'm finding myself in a very ackward position that while Esri and the whole world are focused on ArcGIS 10.0 (including local Esri representatives), almost nobody in the country upgraded from 9.3.1 or have plans to do so, and am personnally having problems seeking 9.3.1 appropiate answers).




No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...