Sunday 21 May 2017

arcgis desktop - How to assign diameter size to valve feature class based on waterline size?


I have two shapefiles, valves (points) and waterlines (polyline). The waterlines have a diameter attribute that is populated with the correct size. The valves have an attribute for diameter size as well but some of the values are showing 0 for the size. I need to update the 0 sized valves with the correct size from the waterline it is on.


The valves are in close proximity to the waterline if not directly on it. I don't have access to the "Near" function because of the level of my license. I am using ArcGIS 10.2 for Desktop with a Standard license.


What I have done so far is select valves by 1ft location to specific waterlines with specific diameter size (ie selected valves that are within 1ft of 16 inch waterline). From this point I'm not sure what I should do next or even if this is the correct path to the solution.



Answer




You probably want to do a spatial join. Join your lines to points and make sure to select to give each point (valve) the attributes of the line (pipe) it is nearest.


enter image description here


Once you have joined the tables, sort ascending on the valve size field (the field with the 0s) and highlight/select all the records with "0" then right click on the field header and use field calculator to copy of the size from the now joined field holding your pipe size to your field holding the valve size


No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...