Sunday 28 May 2017

united kingdom - Seeking vector data for wind speed and operating turbines in UK?



I have been familiarising myself with QGIS and the free information Ordnance Survey provide. Though I'm struggling to find further data specific to my needs.


I want to produce a map plotting renewable energy in the UK (or at least operating wind turbines) against locations of operating data centres, preferably on a background of wind speeds.



Are there places where I access this data?


By so far I have seen only these sources:




Answer



When you import a shapefile (or zipped shapefile) into QGis is just displays the data using a random color. So you need to style it and select a attribute to colour it in by and how you'd like the values mapped to colours.


enter image description here


The trick with the wind speed data is to read the documentation (boring though that is) - so looking in the included "Wind_attributes.txt" file gives us:



Timescales


An = Annual SP = Spring SU = Summer AU = Autumn WI = Winter



JA = January FB = February MR = March AP = April MY = May JN = June JL = July AG = August SE = September OC = October NV = November DC = December


Heights


80 = 80 metres above sea surface 100 = 100 metres above sea surface


Parameters


WS = Mean Wind Speed recorded in metres per second (m/s)


PD = Mean Wind Power Density calculated per square metre of rotor swept area



If I choose to use a Graduated style I will get a choice of columns to map. Based on the above list it looks like if I pick an_ws_80m I will be mapping Annual Wind Speed at 80m above sea level.


Pressing the classify button will apply the settings to the map. I find that the map looks better with Jenks Natural Breaks rather than Equal Intervals but your mileage may vary. I have also increased the number of classes.


enter image description here



Finally to make it look a little nicer I removed the black lines by setting the Stroke style to No Pen.


enter image description here


No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...