Thursday 29 October 2015

algorithm - Optimal tiling of polygon using ArcGIS Desktop?


I am trying to tile a polygon with a minimal number of fixed sized squares.


Currently I am creating a fishnet over my polygon then spatially joining the squares that intersect the polygon. This is not optimal.


Also note the squares can be shifted vertically/horizontally but not rotated.


My end goal: The polygon represents a clipped image and I want a tiling of the clipped image. Where each tile is 300px by 300px. Some overlap is fine if that makes the problem easier.


Current


enter image description here


Manually optimized


enter image description here


Are there any tools or algorithms that would help with this? I am proficient with Python and ArcMap.



The polygon was created from line features so I also have access to those segments. Maybe that would will help for generating the squares.


The entire polygon must be covered.




No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...