Monday 18 November 2019

Simplifying Shapefile using ArcGIS Desktop or alternative?


I have a shapefile that contains neighborhood boundaries that I want to simplify. Right now I am thinking of converting the shapefile to Google maps KML so I can insert the boundaries into the map as an overlay but do not need the precision provided by the shapefile. How can I do this simplification?


I may have access to arcgis, although a method that does not require it is better.



Answer



For a non-ArcGIS method, you could try QGIS - the "Simplify Geometries" tool under the Vector menu should do what you want!



No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...