Friday 22 November 2019

arcgis desktop - Reducing size of KML file (after converting from Shapefile)


I have a shapefile of size 224 MB. I am using ArcGIS to convert it to a KML file. The process involves converting the shapefile to a feature layer and then converting the layer to KML.


An alternative method that I have tried is using ogr2ogr.


In both the cases, the KML file produced is around 500 MBs. I need it to be less than 250 MBs, so I can import it as a Google Fusion table.


I was informed that one of the best ways to cut size is to reduce precision of the coordinates to 5 decimal places (from its current 10 or so).


How do I go about changing the decimal places using either ogr2ogr or ArcGIS? Is there some other software that may help in this and also, are there any other strategies I may use to reduce the size of the KML file?


I tried using Notepad++ to open the KML file and then use regular expressions to change coordinate precision but for some reason this method is not working. If I make the change and try and save the file, all the data gets deleted and the KML file size changes to 0 bytes.


An alternative strategy that I was thinking of was to split my shapefiles into two or three files and convert them to KML separately, upload them to Google fusion tables and then append those. However, I am not sure of two things.



  1. How to split shapefiles into two or three smaller shapefiles?


  2. Whether I can easily append fusion tables together to create a larger fusion table?




No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...