Thursday 21 November 2019

qgis - Shadow mapping from raster data



I was wondering if anyone knows of a plugin, extension, process, etc. for mapping shadow locations based on date/time using raster data? I have searched and what I have been able to find all seems to require vectors or multipatch data. I have DSM rasters produced from LiDAR and would ultimately like to use those as the source for identifying locations of shadows, as I would like to the surrounding features in the raster to be used as sources of impact (i.e. trees). I am open to all options, but QGIS, Grass, and ArcGIS are preferred.



Answer




In the QGIS/FOSS world, you can use the GRASS algorithm called r.sunmask.datetime from the Processing toolbox. You provide the date and time, and it creates a shadow mask.


Here's one, derived from Lidar data:-


enter image description here


No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...