Sunday 23 June 2019

arcgis desktop - Add overlapping polygons


I have a feature class that contain many overlapping polygons. Each polygon has a field value which I would like to add together wherever the polygons overlap. There are about 100 polygons each with complex boundaries and some are multi-part polygons. Below is conceptual diagram of what I would like to do.


enter image description here


I know I can do this by converting each polygon to raster and adding them. The problem is that since their boundaries are complex, it takes a very long time to convert. I was wondering if there is a solution without converting to raster?



Answer



Ok, here is the method I came up with and works for me.



  1. Union feature class by itself


  2. Use Find Identical on the unioned file

  3. Join the unioned file to the table produced in step 2. by the ObjectID and IN_FID fields.

  4. Dissolve by "FEAT_SEQ" field, putting the sum of the score in the statistics field.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...