Thursday 27 June 2019

Any low-cost Virtual Private Servers able to run GeoServer?


I'm looking at virtual private server hosting options for GeoServer. At a recent conference, the most often cited cost of such servers was around $50/month. I've found a few places that advertize VPSs for much less, some as low as $17/month. The specs appear to be adequate for installing and running GeoServer, at least for my initial experimental needs. The reason I'm looking at the lower cost options is that I'm not going to be generating any income here.


I'm curious to hear from others that may have tried this ultra-low-cost GeoServer route. How did it work out for you, and if so, which low-cost VPS providers seemed to work out the best, if any did at all?




Answer



I just deleted one of my Amazon EC2 instances where I had GeoServer running on it. You can spin up a micro instance for 2 or 3 cents / hour depending on linux/windows. But I only use them to play, I couldn't comment on using them in a production environment (you would probably have to use a larger instance which costs more per hour). If you are just developing on them, you can just start them when you need them and stop them when your done and that will save you some cash (you can do this easily in a batch file).


Also, don't terminate the instances--that removes them permanently!


https://console.aws.amazon.com/ec2/v2/home


Pricing: https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/pricing/


Update: There are some opengeo amazon machine instances already present...you might be able to launch an existing AMI (although it didn't have a micro-instance option for me).


Another Update I found this while trying to find out information on the existing AMIs:
http://blog.opengeo.org/2010/09/13/opengeo-suite-community-edition-on-amazon-web-services/


No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...