Tuesday 18 June 2019

arcgis 10.0 - Create a ground overlay kml from georeferenced raster


I have a world georeferenced raster (5m resolution, ~4000 x 4000 pixels) that I would like to display in google earth. I am looking for a simple and effective way to generate this kml file.



  • Using ArcGIS layer to KML outputs a kmz and resample the raster (I went as far as 3000 dpi, but quality is still pretty low)

  • Using GDAL raster2tile is slower than ArcGIS, but it also resample the image, yielding low quality output (I do not know how or if it is possible to tweak dpi or quality).


  • Using R maptools::GE_SpatialGrid function gave the best results so far, as it simply outputs a xml file specifying the extent of the raster. Though it does not display fully in Google Earth (no error message).


To sum it up, my preferred method would be to output a kml file, that would be entirely displayed in google earth. I like the kml idea of simply specifying an extent, it is easy to update the raster without any more processing.




No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...