Sunday 10 April 2016

arcgis 10.1 - How to Keep Database and Server Connections active


It seems like everyday I go to publish a service or connect to my SDE I get messages that I can't connect. It is particularly annoying when trying to publish a service to ArcServer. The connections are made, but for some reason they are timing out or becoming temporarily disconnected for whatever reason (Red X over the connection icons).



The fix is simple: As soon as I open Catalog and then double click on the connection, it re establishes connection and then I can do what I need in ArcMap. However, ideally I would like to stop this behavior.


Any ideas why this is happening? Can't find much in the help and it has been mentioned by several users in my organization.



Answer



The default behavior is to let connections remain active, so the real issue is likely the feature in your environment which closes open TCP/IP sessions:



  • Firewall configuration

  • Antivirus applications

  • Network switch configuration

  • Nightly database restarts

  • Nightly application server restarts


  • TCP-Keepalive timeout configuration

  • "Sleep" mode on servers


Your organizational IT staff would have a better idea of what the most likely cause is, and what the associated costs might be to make changes.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...