Saturday 23 January 2016

How are service areas created in ArcGIS Network Analyst?


I want to create a service area map of Burma in order to spot the areas that are within xx kilometers from a set of cities.


The problem is that the generated polygons aren't exactly what I expected.


In order to understand why, I tried to generate service areas on a very simple network where the greens dots are my three facilities :


enter image description here


The first network is a simple triangle. We can see that computing service areas on this shape completely failed.


However, if I complexify a little bit the network by adding edges inside the triangle, it runs smoothly :


enter image description here



In front of these results, I wonder if someone can explain to me how a service area is generated. More precisely, how does ArcMap interpolate the values of the polygons in the areas where there are no streets?




No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...