Wednesday 25 March 2015

Will core functions in QGIS exploit multi-threading?


After reading Enabling multithreaded processing in QGIS?, I was wondering if QGIS 2.6 will include this when running various processes. I checked online and I could only find that multi-threaded rendering was introduced to QGIS 2.4 (I assume it will again be available in 2.6). Now maps can be redrawn very quickly especially when dealing with large datasets.


I read that it's fairly difficult to include multi-threading to core functionality and that users are advised to manipulate Python code in order to achieve this, such as in Parallelising GIS operations in PyQGIS?.


I also checked the feature request but it has been closed for 9 months now by Tim Sutton with the last comment being:




"I'm closing this out - Martin Dobias has an implementation in a branch which will be merged post QGIS 2.2"



Will some functions in QGIS 2.6 exploit multi-threading (or will it again be focused on rendering) and if not, will that change at QGIS 3.0?



Answer



I think that the answer for QGIS 3.0 may be found in this recent conversation posted in Nabble:


Will Processing in QGIS 3 support parallelization?


Citing Nyall Dawson:



If you're after parallelization within a single algorithm (Eg buffering features using multiple threads) then I'm unaware of any plans in place to handle this.




No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...