Saturday 28 March 2015

qgis - Reprojecting a population raster from LAEA to lonlat


I have a population density raster from the EEA which is based on the CORINE land cover 2000 data.



http://www.eea.europa.eu/data-and-maps/data/population-density-disaggregated-with-corine-land-cover-2000-2


The population density is given in inhabitants/km^2, the resolution is 100mx100m.


My goal is:




  1. extract a country from the data by means of a shapefile from gadm.org




  2. convert it to a population COUNT raster





  3. reproject it from laea/GRS80 to longlat/wgs84




  4. aggregate/resample it to match climate data resolution (0.11°)




I do the first step with QGIS, I load the whole .tif, then select the shapefile as mask. Then I use the rastercalculator to divide by 100 to get the population count per cell.


First weird thing: R (using raster/rgdal packages) tells me that the minimum value is -1 (or -0.01) for the clipped (or clipped count) file, which is strange for a population raster.


The reprojection part doesn't work at all, as I understood, I'd use ngb for categorical data which I don't have. Bilinear resampling gives me a lot of negative values though.



The same problem occurs once the data is in the correct coordinate system, but not in the right resolution.


I first used the aggregate function in R to get the data close to the desired resolution, then used the resample function


Which is the correct reprojection method? How can I preserve the integrity of the population count?


Original data is in +proj=laea +lat_0=52 +lon_0=10 +x_0=4321000 +y_0=3210000 +ellps=GRS80 +towgs84=0,0,0,0,0,0,0 +units=m +no_defs


and should be transformed to +proj=longlat +datum=WGS84 +no_defs +ellps=WGS84 +towgs84=0,0,0




No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...