Thursday 26 March 2015

Using ArcGIS and QGIS together in multi-user editing environment?


We have a GIS staff of 7, and another group of about 14 who "use GIS" from time to time. We really, really want multi-user editing. Mostly of a large point file, and we're almost never in the same location, so editing the same point is not a concern.


I'd prefer everyone on ArcGIS, using ArcSDE, but we don't have the budget, or using QGIS and ArcGIS on PostgreSQL/PostGIS, but ArcGIS for Desktop cannot edit PostGIS without ArcSDE.


Currently, I've got the GIS staff on ArcGIS Advanced, and the others on QGIS 2.2. It's working well, multiple QGIS users are able to edit at the same time + one additional Arc user, but I'm always concerned about something popping up that I haven't considered. I'm backing up our data 4x/day.


Hoping there may be others in a similar environment who could help me learn from their experience, avoid making mistakes or losing data.




No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...