Tuesday 17 February 2015

shapefile - Combining several layers in ArcGIS Desktop using Intersect gives WARNING 000117: Warning empty output generated?


I'm using ArcGIS 10.3


I have the following 4 layers (all are polygons)


You can find these layers in this link


DATA





  1. Sites: 5 subcatchments (Site1 to site5) and site 5 combine all subcatchments upstream




  2. Nloss: nitrogen loss for each polygon




  3. Geology: Rock types





  4. Soils: Soil types




enter image description here


What I want?


I want to create a polygon shapefile. In this layer, each polygon will have ALL the attributes from all the 4 layers.


I used intersect to do so. I think union could be used as well to do the same.


I named the resulting shapefile intersect_4_layers.shp. The result of this intersection could be found in this link.


Adding slope



I have slope shapefile that has two categories (0 and 1).



  • zero: if slope is less than or equal 10


  • 1: if slope is more than 10


    enter image description here




I wanted to add slope information to the shapefile resulting from intersecting the 4 layers above (Sites/Soils/Nloss/Rocks) named "intersect_4_layers.shp".


I tried the following:



1- to intersect slope.shp with intersect_4_layers.shp


2- to intersect all 5 layers (Sites, Nloss, Geology, Soils and Slope)


Both trials failed and resulted in this warning



WARNING 000117: Warning empty output generated



QUESTION


Why intersection worked the 1st time (intersecting 4 layers) and didn't work while trying to intersect them with the slope?


Any suggestions how to get all the attributes of the 5 layers into one shapefile?



Answer




I could reproduce your issue with ArcGIS 10.4.1. As a workaround, you can save the output of the Intersect tool as a feature class in a file geodatabase, then the tool will work fine.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...