Saturday 14 February 2015

qgis - How to route railcars along railroads?


I'm very new to the world of GIS, but I'm learning a great deal from this site, as well as others. I fell like this should be 'easy' but I need to be pointed in the right direction. I'm trying to map a railcar's route based on a shapefile of the railroad lines in America.


What I have:


1) I have a file containing specific railcar's routing. Railcars have Radio Frequency ID tags (RFID) that are scanned when entering a rail yard. This file contains all these scanned entry points as well as Lat/Log data for the yard.


2) I have a shapefile of all railroads in America.


My Problem:


I want the path of the railcar to follow the railroad shapefile exactly. If I just tried to map the Railcar file, it would show direct lines from one yard to another, and would not follow the actual path of the railroad. How do I do this? Again, I'm just looking to be pointed in the right direction.




No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...