Friday 13 February 2015

raster - Unknown Coordinate System on old drawing



I work with many old civil engineering documents, and occasionally I'll need to georeference one which has coordinates pairs listed at many given points but does not list which coordinate system these coordinate pairs refer to. These are typically scans of the original drawing lacking any metadata except for what has been scanned. I've always used the "brute force" methods as described by brenth here: Identifying Coordinate System of Shapefile when Unknown?


My question though, is if I already know the approximate location and can easily find say lat,lon and I also have the original coordinate pairs, is there a tool out there that can eliminate the need for the "brute force" method, and speed things up for me?


Thanks



Answer



As far as I know, there's no tool that can directly figure out the projection of a given map, although one would be very useful. What I have done in the past is a bit like the brute-force method, but perhaps a bit more refined.


Assuming you know roughly where in the world the map represents, use a site like spatialreference.org (which seems to be down at the moment), or a program like QGIS to find a list of potential projections. I recently had georef a map of a mine in Wyoming somewhere, so I managed to narrow it down to a handful of potentials that had Wyoming in the title, and I noted down the EPSG code.


Then create a text file with the list of known reference points, and use gdaltransform:


gdaltransform -s_srs  -t_srs EPSG:4326 < listofcoords.txt

This will display a list of coordinates in lon,lat form. If they are close to what you were expecting, then you have your projection.



Having thought about it, would there be a reasonable number of people looking for a semi-automatic program that does this? In a few weeks, when my time is more my own, I could possibly write a Python script that simply compares actual results with expected results, and produces a list of near matches.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...