Thursday 19 February 2015

arcgis server - Simulating moving vehicles using ArcPy?



I have a point layer (stored in SQL Server 2008) that is being served up by a map service in ArcGIS Server 10.1. I am consuming this service in a web client.


Lets say the points are boats out at sea.
This is mock data, but I want to simulate these boats moving around in a logical pattern.


At the moment, I have an arcpy script that updates the X,Y within a bounding box, and also updates two fields for speed and direction (which the layer is symbolised by)


This is all done using the random module from Python.


It works fine, but does not look realistic.


I have formulated some ideas about having a LUT, with X,Y, Speed, Direction, for each 'boat' that could be referenced to update by.



However, this must have been done before, but I have yet to find any examples. I would prefer not to spend development time to try to re-invent the wheel, so was wondering if anyone had a similar script for achieving this that they could share as an answer for all?




Reason I choose boats, as its not essential for them to be following a path such as a road. The simulation does not need to be 99% accurate on how the (insert moving something) actually moves around in the real world, but does simulate movement.


Perhaps if the answer was using a pre-cooked LUT, then the paths could be defined beforehand?




No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...