Tuesday 31 January 2017

arcgis desktop - How to display nebulous boundaries between regions with indistinct edges?


I'm trying to map the boundaries between regions which don't necessarily have a hard edge.



For example, areas where languages predominate don't have a distinct edge, but instead have a degree of overlap - people don't suddenly stop speaking a language at a country border. How would you convey this in a map?


Here is an example I found showing tourist regions - I like how they've conveyed that you don't suddenly reach the boundary of a region, but that they are more nominal:


enter image description here


(I suspect that they used something like Adobe Illustrator to create this?)


How can I achieve a similar effect in ArcMap? For bonus points, I'd like a solution which will transfer to ArcGIS Server's JS API.


My starting point is a polygon layer which does contain hard edges - something like this:


enter image description here




No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...