Monday 30 December 2019

Join a CSV file to shapefile using gdal/ogr?


I have a shapefile with several attributes, for example YEAR, COUNTY, and AREA. I also have a CSV file with more fields that I want in the shapefile, such as POPULATION. Both the shapefile and the CSV file have a field GISJOIN. I know how to do a join in QGIS. But how can I make a permanent join and write to a shapefile using ogr2ogr or one of the other tools in GDAL/OGR?



Answer



The ogr2ogr utility supports a limited sql syntax. You can join your CSV to the shapefile using something like the following:


ogr2ogr -sql "select inshape.*, joincsv.* from inshape left join 'joincsv.csv'.joincsv on inshape.GISJOIN = joincsv.GISJOIN" shape_join.shp inshape.shp

No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...