Monday 23 December 2019

ArcGIS Calculate Fields gives Warning 000405 No records within table?


Situation:


I have feature layer sitting outside processing extent in Environment settings. If I open layer's table and use field calculator - Calculate Geometry on some numeric field:


enter image description here


it works fine.


However if I am trying to populate the same or other field with say number of 1, I'll get this error:


enter image description here


Doesn't sound like a big deal, it is enough to fix extent. However a few times when extent was changed long ago I had a hard time to figure out what is wrong with my calculations or maybe layer itself.



Question: What is a rationale behind blocking simple calculations?



Answer



The Field Calculator uses the Calculate Field tool, and like many geoprocessing tools it honors at least some of geoprocessing environments. If the input is spatial (i.e., not a table), and the extent has been set, the calculation will be limited only to those features/records that are within the extent. If the extent doesn't cover any features, no calculations are performed.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...