Saturday 16 December 2017

qgis - Cross section profile distance not providing accurate distances?


I have created a DEM file, which I am using to draw a cross section along a line to see the variation of height from point A to point B along land seen below. enter image description here


When it use the Profile tool on the DEM file, it produces a cross-sectional area as seen below. enter image description here


I noticed from the profile that the elevation variation is correct, but my distance is out massively. A, because it doesn't give me units along the x-axis. B, because when I measure the same distance line from point A to point B on Google Maps, it gives me an accurate data which is massively out from the scale provided from using the profile tool.


Does anyone know why this is happening or how to fix it?



The steps I have taken to get to where I am now is..




  1. Downloaded 'OSTerrain 50' ESRI shapefile from https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/opendatadownload/products.html#TERR50




  2. I converted the Contours from line.data to point.data as seen in the answer given in Creating DEM Contour files from shapefile line data in QGIS




  3. this allowed me to create a DEM file using the SAGA Triangulation tool. from this I created a cross-sectional profile.





The line I am requiring a cross-section profile of is starting at coordinates --> 60.471758, -1.291595 and ending 60.466071, -1.272155


I am using QGIS V 3.4




No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...