Friday 20 October 2017

How to create a polygon (fixed width buffer) around a polygon in QGIS?



I have created a polygon in QGIS (in this case it describes a country's maritime baseline).



I need to create a second polygon whose boundary is a fixed distance from the original polygon. (in this case I need to create the territorial sea boundary, which lies 12 nautical miles outside the baseline).


I think geoprocessing tools>buffer is correct tool for this job? But I can't figure out what units QGIS uses for the buffer distance.


What should I enter in buffer distance to generate a 12nm buffer?



Answer



If your data is in Geographic Coordinate System(WGS84 etc..), the units will be in decimal degrees(angular). So I would project the polygon shapefile first to a Coordinate System with Meter as unit(like NAD83 UTM Zones..). Then the buffer distance will be in meters.


With a Quick google Search, find the conversion between Nautical mile and Meter.


12 Nm = 22224 meters

Now Run Vector > Geoprocessing > Buffer give 22224 as buffer distance


An excellent answer is here https://gis.stackexchange.com/a/23863/5850



No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...