Wednesday 18 October 2017

Counting traversed arcs on routes to write attributes using ArcGIS for Desktop?


I have number of persons located on a road network and I have calculated their shortest distance to a particular location.


From the routes output created from Closest Facility can I



  1. break the routes down into the individual arcs traversed by each person?


  2. assign each arc a count attribute indicating the number of individuals who use that arc to get to their destination?


I am using Network Analyst in ArcGIS 10.2 for Desktop.



Answer



If you want to do what I think you want to do then yes, you can, but Network Analyst is not required (and I'm not aware of a way to use it to do so off the top of my head).



  1. Export your route layer to a feature class.

  2. Intersect that layer to the lines that make up your network (you may need to export them as Intersect won't run on a network feature). The resulting dataset should have each segment that corresponds with a route, and each segment will be duplicated once for every route that passes over it.

  3. Using Summarize on the segment ID in the attribute table or the Summary Statistics tool should then give you a count of how many times each segment is used.



No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...