Sunday 28 June 2015

transportation - Recommendations for road maintenance management (on a small scale)


I am in a road association and we maintain our own 3 mile dirt road. In doing research on best practices for maintenance I discovered that other organizations use some mapping/GIS programs to help.


I know very little about GIS in general and wonder what would be good resources to start with.


More specifically, is there a generic program I can use to create a map of the road, then use it to collaborate with others to track issues with the road, map points on it and keep a history of maintenance?


If not, is there a base for this kind of thing and can a developer build one in a reasonable amount of time? I am a software developer and would b more than happy to spend time on this project if that is required to get different pieces working.


The road is in Vermont.


EDIT:



Basically what I am hoping for is the following:



  • Software that allows me to drive a specific route and store that as a working model.

  • Download some GPS/County information to automagically set elevations, etc.

  • Allow multiple people to use the software and share information

  • Look at historical data over time (e.g. locations of potholes, bad ice, washboarding in a certain year or month - and view that as a report) - or some other means of collecting and storing data sets and keeping them distinct in time.


Please disabuse me of any unreasonable expectations or educate me on what I should be looking for.




No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...