Thursday 22 August 2019

Error installing GDAL 1.9.0 python package


I'm trying to install the GDAL python package in a python 2.7.1 environment on RHEL 5. I am using the command 'pip install GDAL'. I have no problem installing other packages like numpy, etc. in this manner.


The installation fails with this error:


extensions/gdal_wrap.cpp: In function 'PyObject* _wrap_VSIFTruncateL(PyObject*, PyObject*)':

extensions/gdal_wrap.cpp:6845: error: 'VSIFTruncateL' was not declared in this scope

error: command 'gcc' failed with exit status 1


I also tried compiling GDAL 1.9.0 from source and running 'python setup.py build' (after setting the path to gdal-config in setup.cfg) and 'python setup.py install'. The GDAL python bindings seem to install okay, but I get the same 'VSIFTruncateL' error when trying to use GDAL...


>>> from osgeo import gdal
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "", line 1, in
File "osgeo/__init__.py", line 21, in
_gdal = swig_import_helper()
File "osgeo/__init__.py", line 17, in swig_import_helper
_mod = imp.load_module('_gdal', fp, pathname, description)
ImportError: osgeo/_gdal.so: undefined symbol: VSIFTruncateL

Answer




Does the version of the GDAL python package you are trying to install match the one for your GDAL installation?


I was having the same problem because I was trying to build the GDAL python package v1.9.0 against GDAL v1.8.1 that I had previously installed on my development machine.


Simply telling pip to use v1.8.1 solved this issue for me.


pip install GDAL==1.8.1

NOTE: I'm using a Mac but was seeing the exact same error as you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...