Tuesday 27 August 2019

encoding - Getting Unicode/Codepage problem - Convert UTF-8 to ANSI with File Geodatabase



I have a Codepage issue, and for now I am a bit stumpped


My original source data contains multiple country data delivered in SHP (UTF-8). The data is then merged into a File GeoDB as the data is too large for the 2gb SHP/DBF limit. Previously I was able to use the *.CPG method with a smaller SHP dataset to correctly display the data that contains caracters that matches ANSI (ê, ë, ô, etc.). Now that the data is in a File GeoDB I am not able to use this method.


Strangely enough, I changed the codepage of a smaller SHP-UTF8 data set to SHP-ANSI using a FME process, then imported the data into a File GeoDB and the data then displayed correctly in ArcMap.


Now transforming all the source SHP-UTF8 data to SHP-ANSI is quite a timely process (many files that makes up a big dataset), so my question is if it is possible to set or convert the CodePage of the data in a File GeoDB so that the merged dataset would display correct?


The UTF8 based data looks like this : Koöperasie Street


Where it should look like (ANSI): Koöperasie Street




No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...