Friday 19 October 2018

arcgis 10.2 - Performing water valve isolation trace using ArcPy?


The utility that I am working with for a couple of weeks has access to the ArcFM Water Valve Isolation tool which enables them to point from ArcMap at a location on their SDE Geometric Network and be shown the water valves with NORMALPOSITION OPEN that would need to be CLOSED to isolate that part of the network in the event of a pipe burst.



I am not strong on ArcFM, but I what I am hoping to do from ArcPy (with ArcFM licensing available) is to take a list of 2500 locations on the geometric network, and have an isolation trace return a list of all valves that any of these identify as being used as potential isolation valves from bursts at those locations.


Doing 2500 isolation traces from ArcPy should be easy if I can do one isolation trace from ArcPy.


Is it possible to perform an isolation trace from ArcPy with ArcGIS 10.2.1.01 (Standard level license; with or without ArcFM)?


From @Midavalo's answer to Finding valves to turn off for water line using ArcMap? I was hoping that ArcGIS for Water Utilities download might offer some suitable Python code but when I downloaded it the Valve Isolation tool seems to use ArcObjects instead.


I have also been looking at the Trace Geometric Network tool which is ArcPy accessible but does not offer the option of an isolation trace.



Answer



I can't comment on the ArcFM component of your question, but if you want a sample that does Valve Isolation off a geometric network, I just uploaded what I have to arcgis.com


I'm not the original author, it was passed down to me (thus I make no claims on being an expert in this area, nor to how authoritative it is). You can turn the model into a script. The basic workflow is:



  • snap your input point to the line


  • perform a trace on the network

  • select all the relevant valves

  • filter that list (there is a script tool inside the model that uses a DA cursor to filter)


No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...