Sunday 23 September 2018

Best choice for building static maps: PostGIS, SpatiaLite or Shapefile?


I usually build static topographic maps, which are mostly printed. I'm often using OSM and rasterfiles (mainly different DEMs). The areas I'm mapping seldom exceeds 20.000 km². I'm using exclusively open source software like QGIS, SAGA and GRASS.


I know the problems with shapefiles, but they are easy to handle. And Im not very familiar with postgis or SpatiaLite. I tried postgis, but got a lot of problems handling it, SpatiaLite seem to me more easy.


What do you think: Should I stay with shapefiles or switch over to databases like SpatiaLite or postgis. Whats the advantages and disadvantages in my case?




Answer



If the only reason you're contemplating adopting a new system is "'cause there's a shiny new system", don't do it. Until and unless you actually run into problems with the limitations of shapefiles, or want to take advantage of some specific features of postgis/spatialite/whatever, there's no need to change. Keep designing and producing maps.


Sooner or later the problems with shapefiles will come to a head, and that is the time to address them. The new shiny system will be even newer and shinier then.


It still a good idea to keep an eye on what's happening "over there", and take it for a spin from time to time, but don't invest in changing your whole production workflow until there are specific concrete advantages for doing so. Otherwise it's all too easy to spend months (years!) tinkering with the car in the garage and not actually going for a drive anywhere.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...