Thursday 27 September 2018

arcgis 10.0 - How to split a line into a set of equidistant points


Used to rely on XTools for this, but in my current environment, I don't have access to it.


I'm trying to do this in ArcMap10.


The goal is to break a line representation of a stream into a set of equally-spaced points in order to eventually determine z values at those points so that I can determine gradient.




My intended workflow is as such.



  1. split the stream into points

  2. intersect the points with a DEM using GME

  3. By determining the distance between the points, I should be able to determine that the gradient is.


  4. Seems like it would make sense to integrate the point data back into the original streamlines. Unsure about this step.



I appreciate any critiques of my method, but my priority at this point is converting those streams to points.


Thank you!



Answer



I'm not using ArcGIS 10 yet, but in 9.3.1 you can start an edit session on your line layer, highlight the feature you want to divide then on the Editor Toolbar drop down select the Divide option. Here you can specify the distance to divide the selected feature by. You can then use the Export Nodes tool within ET GeoWizard (free tool) to get a point layer for each divided line segment.


You can use a spatial join to put the point data info back into the line layer. Right click your line layer in ArcMap TOC and select Join and Relates>Join. On the first drop down select "Join data from another layer based on spatial location" option.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...