Tuesday 20 June 2017

web mapping - Maximum number of point features in an OpenLayers vector layer


In your experience, how many point features can be added to an OpenLayers vector layer (new OpenLayers.Layer.Vector("Point Layer")) before it goes unusably slow?


My use case is to display points from a database table. The user can decide which time frame to visualize. Therefore the result can be from very few to potentially 100,000s of points. I'd like to introduce a reasonable limit and warn the user if his query would return more features.



Answer



I don't have a definitive answer for you but you I put together a page where you can play around with different numbers of points on an OL map: http://derekswingley.com/lab/olpts/


No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...