Sunday 18 June 2017

qgis - Best way to manage large number of GeoTIFF rasters?


I have around 2-3000 1-bit GeoTIFFs of size 11000x9400. Color 0 should be transparent, and QGIS gets it wrong in the first place, so I used a .vrt file to set all the parameters in one single place.


Problem is, even if I set the layer to be visible only at a small scale, the project takes a lot of time to load in QGIS.


Which is the best way of dealing with all these files? I tried using grass, but I don't see if it can really be faster than QGIS.



Answer



I would say then that your best bet would be to use a WMS (something like MapServer or GeoServer, or their commercial equivalents), and serve your image data as tiles. It'll take a bit of setting up, but it would avoid having to load all the files just to see a small area at a time.


There are plenty of questions and good answers here about setting up a WMS, as well as plenty of tutorials on the web.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...