Monday 26 June 2017

QGIS: ESRI shapefile .shp no longer appears in list of file types under Add Vector Layer


I recently installed QGIS 2.18.4 after using ArcMap for many years. I want to add several existing ESRI shapefiles (.shp) created in Arc, to a QGIS project. To add a new layer in QGIS, I select the "Add Vector Layer" button and then click "Browse" to go find the layer. Then I navigate to the proper folder. However, the drop down menu at the lower right of the "Open an OGR Supported Vector Layer" window does not include ESRI Shapefile on the list. The first one on the list is GeoJSON. Everything after "G" appears to be okay (all the way down to "X-Plane/Flightgear") but any file formats from A through F have been cut from the list. Since "ESRI" starts with "E" it does not show up on the list. Strange thing is when I first installed QGIS, ESRI Shapefile appeared on this list. So I must have accidently done something to change how that list is populated and I want to know how to change it back.


If I type in the name of the ESRI shapefile that I know is in the folder, it and all other files starting with those letters appears in the prompt window that appears. And QGIS will correctly load the Shapefile. However, I want to be able to see all those ESRI Shapefiles without having to know and type in the first letter so it will appear in the prompt. I want it to appear in the file type drop down (or drop up?) menu.




No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...