Monday 27 March 2017

cartography - How to obtain overlapping semi-transparent circles effect in ArcGIS for Desktop?


I have been trying to obtain the following markers effect.


How can I do the same in ArcGIS?


This image is from a book.alt text



Answer



My thought is that this was not done with a point layer but a buffer of a point layer in order to achieve the transparency. I have been working with a layer to reproduce the affect and am not successful with any of the other methods listed in these answers.



I now beleive they are close though. Following instructions to use the graduated symbol and transparency does not ever produce the darker outline for me. When I get the transparency set so it looks like your example the outline doesn't show up as much as your example.


So perhaps a copy of the layer placed above it's parent, and then change so it's transparency is just less than the parent, and the fill is none with an outline of black.


Another method for this would be to use Illustrator an export an AI file or Avenza to access the data directly from Illustrator.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...