Saturday 25 March 2017

arcgis desktop - Windows security warning (ActiveX) when clicking into fields in ArcToolbox tool?



I have been running ArcGIS 10.5 on my PC (Windows 10 Home) since December with no issues. This past week I have started to get ActiveX Security Warnings when I click into a parameter field in any ArcToolbox tool.


enter image description here



Windows Security Warning


An ActiveX control on this page might be unsafe to interact with other parts of the page. Do you want to allow this interaction?



It doesn't seem to matter whether I click Yes or No, I can still modify the field and the tool still functions fine.


Answering Yes:
enter image description here


Answering No:

enter image description here


I am working through the answers to Why do ArcToolbox tools give ActiveX error?, although there doesn't appear to be an actual answer on that Q&A. Additionally it's back in the Windows XP/7 days with IE 7/8, and I'm running Win 10 with IE 11 (although that's never used). If it matters, the browsers we use are Firefox 53.0 (64-bit) and Chrome 58.0.3029.81 (64-bit).


The issue I am having sounds different as it's happening only when I click on the parameter field - not when I open the tool or, as I read elsewhere, ArcMap. The warning messages on that Q&A also have different text so it may be a completely different problem.


I have opened Internet Explorer (for the first time since getting this PC!) and looked at the Local Zone settings and everything for ActiveX is marked Enabled, including one about running without prompting:


enter image description here


I have also Disabled another one "Automatic Prompting for ActiveX Controls" but that didn't stop the message appearing.


I went through the suggested ActiveX settings from Problem: Issues with ActiveX controls when launching ArcMap, updated all my settings to match (the only one I had to change was the "Automatic Prompting for ActiveX Controls" one I changed in my testing above).


No new software has been installed on my PC in the past week.


What could have caused this to start appearing, and how do I fix it?



Answer







I found a fix for this on ESRI's web site - axtiveX error warning. A staff member came into the thread and confirmed it is a bug in current versions of ArcGIS (at time of writing, 10.5.1 was the latest).


So far we have only seen it affect our 1703 users. Haven't tested on 1709, but I'm going to imagine it also affects them too. At my org we are not allowed to change security zone's as the other answer's states (policy for this setting is controlled far higher up the chain), but the link above has a workaround (or possibly actual fix?). I hear they are supposed to have this in 10.6.



Some of our users reported this issue to Esri Support a few weeks ago. We have reported this issue as a defect to our development teams. They are well aware and are investigating this issue at their end.


"BUG-000105427: ActiveX control warnings appear when interacting with geoprocessing tools after updating to Windows 10 version 1703 (Creators Update)".



They link to their knowledge base article on how to fix it: Bug: Internet Explorer script errors are generated when running any geoprocessing tool from ArcToolbox on some systems that implement folder redirection



Essentially you need to copy their .xsl files into your arctoolbox folder, which for 10.5 (by default) is located at C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.5\ArcToolbox\Stylesheets. While the link to this page shows an error that looks very different from the one you describe it seems to be the same issue, just an old version of internet explorer. I confirmed it was working for a few of our users.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...