Tuesday 5 April 2016

arcgis desktop - How can we extract the stream order branch?


Actually I am new to GIS, so I don't know much about technical terminology.


I have extracted a river network but now have a problem in distinguishing the branch order of stream (from order 1 to 2, 2 to 3; side branches, not the main ones [say 1 to 1, 2 to 2]) according to the Strahler scheme. It is displaying only one column of stream order. Can anybody tell me how can I extract a separate column for side branch streams as I mentioned above?



enter image description here


Here is a Strahler ordering scheme. In the strahler order method, all links with no tributaries are assigned an order of one and are referred to as first order. When two first-order links intersect, the downslope link is assigned an order of two. When two second-order links intersect, the downslope link is assigned an order of three, and so on. When two links of a different order (say 1 to 2) intersect, the downslope link is assigned the order of the maximum of these two. My query is, can we make a separate field for the same order branch (1 to 1, 2 to 2) and different order branch (1 to 2, 2 to 3)?


I have added two tables. In first table we can see that all stream orders (Grid_code) are given in one column. I want to know how many streams of 1st order are joining with other 1st order, 2nd order, 3rd order, etc. Similarly, how many streams of 2nd order are joining with 2nd order, 3rd order, etc.


enter image description here


For example, in this table there are 12 '1st' order streams. I have to know that out of 12, how many are joining with another 1st order (1 to 1)? How many are joining with a 2nd order (1 to 2)? How many are joining with a 3rd order (1 to 3)? And so on.


enter image description here




No comments:

Post a Comment

arcpy - Changing output name when exporting data driven pages to JPG?

Is there a way to save the output JPG, changing the output file name to the page name, instead of page number? I mean changing the script fo...